Shaders are items that change the color scheme and pattern of a Guardian's armor. Certain items may be entirely recolored when a shader is equipped, while others may only be partially recolored or may not be affected by shaders at all. Only one shader can be equipped at a time. A Guardian must be level 20 in order to equip a shader in Destiny.
Shaders can be obtained as a reward for completing missions, Crucible matches, raids, mailed to the Guardian upon reaching a new reputation level with a faction, or purchased from vendors such as Eva Levante. Certain unique shaders can be obtained certain ways, such as from limited time events like The Queen's Wrath and Iron Banner.
In Destiny 2, shaders have undergone the following major changes:
- Shaders are now one-time use, but Guardians can have multiple stacks.
- Shaders can now only be applied to a specific armor piece.
- In addition to armor, they can be applied to weapons, jumpships, and sparrows.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Foman123 (20 June 2014) YouTube: Destiny Alpha - Resource Upload Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Vae Victis (23 June 2014) YouTube: Destiny Alpha Shaders Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Destiny Database - Shader Previewer: View any shaders on a player's Guardian.