|This article is out-of-date. You can help by updating it new information. [Proposed: September 3, 2017]|
A material is an item in Destiny and Destiny 2 that can be obtained by players either randomly in certain locations or by breaking down other items such as weapons and armor. Materials can be bought from vendors in the Tower for Glimmer or Legendary Marks. Resources will stack up to 200 times; the number of stacks is limited only by the player's inventory space.
Destiny Materials[edit | edit source]
Ascendant Materials[edit | edit source]
Dismantle Materials[edit | edit source]
These materials can be obtained by dismantling equipment. They are used in upgrading all rarities of weapons and armor.
- Armor Materials, used to upgrade armor.
- Hadronic Essence, once used to upgrade Warlock armor but now superseded by Armor Materials.
- Plasteel Plating, once used to upgrade Titan armor but now superseded by Armor Materials.
- Sapphire Wire, once used to upgrade Hunter armor but now superseded by Armor Materials.
- Weapon Parts, used to upgrade weapons of rare or better quality.
Upgrade Materials[edit | edit source]
- Etheric Light is used to ascend legendary weapons and armor to the highest Attack and Light levels available in Year 1.
- Exotic Shards are used to upgrade or ascend exotic weapons and armor. They can be obtained from dismantling exotic gear or purchased from Xûr when he is in the Tower.
Radiant Materials[edit | edit source]
Radiant materials are used to upgrade weapons and armor obtained from the Crota's End raid in The Dark Below. They can be obtained during the raid and from dismantling gear obtained in the raid.
- Radiant Energy, used to upgrade Crota's End weapons.
- Radiant Shard, used to upgrade Crota's End armor.
The Dark Below Materials[edit | edit source]
These materials are used to upgrade weapons that were added in The Dark Below.
- Crux of Crota, used to upgrade Eidolon Ally.
- Embalming Orb, used to upgrade Husk of the Pit.
- Runed Core, used to upgrade Murmur.
The Taken King Materials[edit | edit source]
These materials were introduced in The Taken King and are used to upgrade new items.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Resources are used to upgrade Legendary and Exotic weapons and armor. Resources can be harvested or collected from loot chests in public areas. They can be obtained from completing Patrol bounties or opening Judgment's Grant packages. They can also be purchased from Roni 55-30 for Legendary Marks at a rate of 10 Marks for 20 resources.
- Helium Filaments, found on the Moon.
- Relic Iron, found on Mars.
- Spinmetal, found on Earth.
- Spirit Bloom, found on Venus.
- Wormspore, found on the Dreadnaught.