Martin O'Donnell (who goes by "Marty," "Marty the Elder," or "The Maestro") was Bungie's long-time Audio Director and is a legendary figure in the field of video game music and sound. O'Donnell was the main composer for Destiny, along with his long-time recording partner Michael Salvatori and with contributions from world-renowned artist Paul McCartney.
O'Donnell was a fan favorite, appearing often in public both on Bungie's official website and on panels, in interviews, and on social media. One of Bungie's famed "Grizzled Ancients," O'Donnell also created the music for the Myth, Oni, and Halo games (with the exclusion of Halo 4 and Halo Wars).
On April 16, 2014, O'Donnell announced he had left Bungie, claiming on Twitter that he had been "terminated without cause" on April 11, 2014; Bungie said that the two parties had parted "as friends." Pete Parsons, Bungie's chief operating officer, clarified that O'Donnell's music will remain in Destiny, and that his departure would not negatively impact the remaining development.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Meet the Team: Marty O'Donnell". Bungie Inc.. Retrieved 15 Nov. 2013.
- "Marty O'Donnell on LinkedIn". LinkedIn.com. Retrieved 15 Nov. 2013.
- Valjalo, David. (2013-08-1) "Paul McCartney’s videogame Destiny – Bungie’s Martin O’Donnell on working with a music legend". Edge Magazine. Retrieved 15 Nov. 2013.
- Marty the Elder on Bungie.net
- @MartyTheElder on Twitter
- Twitter "Tweet". Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "There are those who said this day would never come...". Bungie Inc. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- , Pramath. (17 April. 2014) "Bungie Insists Destiny is on Track". GamingBolt.com. Retrieved 18 April. 2014.