History and Origin
Exo began as self-aware war machines developed by humanity during the Golden Age for a long forgotten war, with the sole purpose of protecting their creators. They were rebooted during the collapse and now have no memory of their original function. Exos are "so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves; their origins and purpose lost to time. Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of the City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren, while others fight again, reforged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians."
- In terms of player design, Bungie drew its inspiration for the Exo from such sources as the Master Chief, The Terminator, and the undead. At their presentation at the 2013 Game Developers Conference, those of the species were described by Joseph Staten and Christopher Barrett as being "sinister, powerful, and tireless."
- (2013 July 02) YouTube.com: Destiny News - Grimoire Cards Explained! 2:04. Retrieved 05 July 2014.
- @DestinyTheGame (February 25, 2014) "Did You Know: The Exo began". Twitter. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- Stuart, Kieth. (April 28, 2014) "Destiny – how the makers of Halo plan to change the future of shooters". The Guardian. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- Miller, Matt. (January 2014 Print Edition) "A Player's Journey: Destiny". Game Informer. Retrieved 31 Dec. 2013.
- GDC 2013 Panel; 39:45. Retrieved on 14 Oct. 2013
|Player||Awoken • Exo • Human|
|Enemy||Cabal • Fallen • Hive • Vex • Taken • Devil Splicers • Scorn|
|Player||Hunter • Titan • Warlock|