Cayde-6 was the Hunter Vanguard and owner of the Ace of Spades. In Destiny, Cayde-6 sold a variety of Hunter armor (including Vanguard armor) and emblems. All Guardians could purchase and own these items regardless of their class, but only Hunters could equip Hunter armor.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Pre-Hunter Vanguard[edit | edit source]
Through the lore book, The Man They Called Cayde from Forsaken, many truths and insights into Cayde's character are revealed. Before Forsaken, there were many comments and several lore entries where Cayde detailed the personality of his wife and son from before he was a Guardian; however, in the final lore book he admitted those were lies. He said that he remembered nothing about them, save that he loves or loved them, ultimately chalking it all up to the fact that it was their memory, as false as it was that kept him going, building him into the beloved hero, ultimately advising the Guardian that it may be wise to do the same if helps them hold true to their path.
During the initial attempt by Guardians to retake the Moon from the Hive, Cayde-6 ended up in a most peculiar situation. Falling back from overwhelming Hive forces, he took cover behind a crashed jumpship, only to discover that a Fallen Baroness was there as well. As they both had a common enemy, the two opted not to kill each other and continued to fight the Hive. After most of the Hive were killed, Cayde returned to the crashed ship, only to find the Baroness mortally wounded. In the end, he was forced to kill her.
After the death of his friend, Andal Brask, at the hands of Taniks, the Scarred, Cayde took on the Vanguard Dare. To his regret, he lost the bet and was forced to accept the challenge of becoming the new Hunter Vanguard.
During some of Cayde's travels, he hid away stashes of information, clues to the past, and leads on rare and exotic weapons. One of the items he had hidden away was a preserved 1883 copy of Treasure Island. The book was hidden in the Speaker's personal library and contains drawings and notes from Cayde within the book.
Death and Legacy[edit | edit source]
At the beginning of Forsaken, Cayde, Petra Venj, and the Guardian attempted to stop a riot at the Prison of Elders. Cayde was separated from the others and found himself facing off against a horde of Scorn. Although he was injured in the fight, Cayde managed to beat the horde that was attacking him. Cayde's ghost, Sundance, was then suddenly shot and destroyed by Pirrha, the Rifleman, right as she had begun healing him. Cayde, now vulnerable, faced down the Scorn Barons and was smashed through a wall by Reksis Vahn, the Hangman. He eventually regained consciousness and was greeted by Uldren Sov. Still weak and powerless, and after a short conversation, Uldren dealt the final blow by shooting Cayde with his own weapon, the Ace of Spades.
Cayde-6 has four memorials dedicated to him in the Tower:
- A framed picture of him smiling and giving a double thumbs up in the spicy ramen shop.
- An engraving of the Ace of Spades that can be found right behind Zavala.
- His own cloak located behind Amanda Holliday.
- His pet chicken, the Colonel, standing where Cayde stood as a vendor in the Tower.
In Forsaken, it is revealed that Cayde hid 10 caches all throughout the moon Titan with pre-recorded messages addressed to the individuals whom he believed might have been the one who killed him, or that Cayde otherwise knew on a personal level (many of the recipients falling into both categories). These people included Eris Morn, Taniks the Scarred, The Drifter, Petra Venj, Suraya Hawthorne, any Hunter who killed him, Zavala, Ikora Rey, and the playable Guardian.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Despite his diligence to his work, Cayde longed for the opportunity to get back into combat (The cause of how he died, as he was murdered during a mission at the Prison of Elders, the event which started Destiny 2: Forsaken). After speaking with Cayde-6 in Destiny, he would sometimes say things like "I need to get back in the field." or even whisper "Hey, take me with you." which further reinforced this idea. He was also a gambler placing bets on the outcome of several events. Despite being a skilled Hunter, Cayde is often facetious and makes flippant remarks, even in the face of his own demise. However, when aggravated, he abandons his carefree demeanor and becomes more thoughtful and even vengeful. He remembers that when he was resurrected as a Guardian, he awoke to nothing but sadness, loneliness, and pain; the destroyed journal he kept of his life before becoming a Guardian is the only hint as to who he was.
Cayde's personality before he was turned into an Exo is unknown, as he was transformed right around The Collapse, supposedly being part of a deal to get him out of debt. He does not remember the facility where he was transformed well, other than that it was a cold and dark place with pain.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Cayde-6/Dialogue
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Need destruction at a distance? Nightstalkers are gonna need support against heavy armor while Bladedancers want it up close and personal. Find a Gunslinger. They'll know what to do."
- "A Hunter back from a quest? Now that's the best storyteller in the galaxy."
- "Sure, it was cold. But I'm an Exo. We keep going."
- "Every story has an end. This is mine."
- "Am I right? Am I right or am I right?"
- "Hey! Take me with you, I hate this job."
- "Nice poncho."
- "This is great. Anyone want a hug? Hugs? No? No hugs."
- "Eris... Get your rock, off my map." (I personally thought this was one of the funniest cayde quotes, but it really only makes sense if you see it, so google a video)
- "Never felt better."
- "And cue the ominous music."
- "Okay, everybody. Back in your cages."
- "That's it! Now I'm pissed!"
- "I'm comin' home, Ace..."
- "All right, partner, this is a Cayde riff in 6, watch me for the changes, and uh...try to keep up."
- "Any second now, my partner is going to roll in here and kill every... last... one of you!" (This was said during a cut scene BEFORE cayde died, this was not his final words)
- "How's your sister?" (Cayde said this right before he died, and this is what started the trend of people in destiny roasting bad guys before they where killed, he and the seeker both had a memorable roast)
- "The Vanguard... was the best bet... I ever... lost."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cayde-6 was voiced by Canadian actor Nathan Fillion, who had previously lent his voice to other Bungie games, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach.
- On July 17th, 2018, IGN announced that voice actor Nolan North would be replacing Nathan Fillion as the voice of Cayde-6 in Forsaken due to Fillion being unavailable at the time to voice the role. In the announcement, Fillion expressed doubt over his character being dead despite Bungie’s previous statements over Cayde-6’s official death. 
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Video Games Source (Jul 21, 2014) YouTube: Destiny (Beta) - The Tower: (Hunter Class) Cayde-6, Sinna Jaguar 2.1, Hunter Vanguard Gift PS4 1:13. Retrieved Jul 21, 2014.
- MoreConsole (June 10, 2014) YouTube: New Destiny Gameplay - Vanguard Armor! Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- (2014 June 19) YouTube: Destiny Alpha - All NPCs in the Tower Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- List of Grimoire Cards/Ghost Fragment: Fallen
- The Taken King: Collector's Edition - GAME
- Just a Handful of Bullets
- Novgorod Cloak
- Snow Angel Boots
|Tower||Amanda Holliday • Arach Jalaal • Arcite 99-40 • Banshee-44 • Cayde-6 • Commander Zavala • Eris Morn • Eva Levante • Executor Hideo • Ikora Rey • Kadi 55-30 • Lakshmi-2 • Lord Saladin (formerly) • Lord Shaxx • Master Rahool • Petra Venj (formerly) • Roni 55-30 • Tess Everis • The Speaker • Xander 99-40 • Xûr|
|Vestian Outpost||Berg 99-40 • Brother Vance • Master Ives • Petra Venj • Sentha 55-30 • Variks|
|Iron Temple||Gabi 55-30 • Lady Efrideet • Lord Saladin • Micha 99-40 • Shiro-4 • Tyra Karn|